Sunday, July 31, 2011

Hexagon Quilt Appreciation Day. Oh. My. Lanta!

Tonight after doing some indexing I decided my eyes and brain needed a little R and R (rest and relaxation) so I decided to look at a few of my favorite quilting blogs. When I came upon an incredible story of a woman by the name of Linda White who is from outside of Simpson, Australia. She was looking for a project to do and wanted to do something of an antique piece. (You will soon see why my tired mind and eyes got no R and R with this quilt) She started with one tiny hexagon:

Linda began on the 11th of April, 2010
And this became...this:

Soon her little project took on a wonderful life of
 it's own. Many of these tiny hexagons are 'fussy cut'.

'Fussy-cut' means she is very particular about
where and how the fabric is cut. Notice the flowers.


This project grew until she had hand-cut, stitched, pieced, and placed over 17,977 tiny hexagons. It took her a grand total of 54.5 weeks, and approximately 1,300 hours. She finished it on the 28th of April, 2011. And here is what it looked like when Linda won 1st place in the quilt show, AND Best of show.

Here stands Linda White by her creation...
"Dear Prudence"

My hat goes off to Linda White, for her beautiful insight, creativity, work, and tenacity. What a beautiful heirloom. This quilt trully has the "Wow!" factor.

~Sandi




No comments:

Post a Comment