Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Flannel Baby blankets- My new favorite thing.

I went to a baby shower several months ago and one of the gifts was a flannel baby blanket with crochet around the edges. I LOVED it! At most showers, after the Mommy opens her gift, she usually will pass it around for everyone to see it. Flannel is my favorite fabric. My children were raised snuggled in it's softness.  So I took special interest.

Since I have been working mostly from my home office, it has freed up some time for the things I enjoy doing, like... quilting, and handwork of many kinds. I am happiest when I am 'doing' something creative.

I'm also crazy about my family. We have a large wonderful family full of little 'smoochables'. And recently, one of my nieces who has a dickens of a time with her pregnancies, trooped through things that would make a billy-goat puke. So when I got word that she had indeed brought this little fella into this world, safe, sound, and both were healthy. I had to celebrate by searching out some cute...wait for it......flannel, and trying to make him a blanket that would be his very own snuggle from Aunt Sandi, since he is in Utah, and I am in Texas it was a must-do.

I had fun looking for material. I knew it had to be sporty. (I actually wanted BYU flannel so his big brother Kaleb would like it too)...but alas, I couldn't find BYU flannel. Boo. So here is what I came up with for our wonderful little fella.

I taught myself how to crochet a border.
This was the first round, around the edge.

This is the finished edge.

Yes, that's baseball print on one side &
animal print on the other. So boyish & cute.

Here is the crochet pattern I used for the edge:

Easy Shell Stitch Edging (Notice it says 'easy'...yeah, thats MY kind of pattern.)

Directions:
Single crochet in the first stitch, chain 2, skip next 2 stitches, *5 double crochet all in the next stitch (shell stitch made), chain 2, skip next 2 stitches, single crochet in the next stitch, chain 2, skip next 2 stitches **, repeat from * to ** as many times as needed.

Yes, thats it! It was such a fun project to do. YouTube tutorials helped. Isn't technology wonderful? I could hardly wait to send it. Yes, more cute/darling flannel fabric has already been purchased, cut and worked on. We have another darling nephew & niece that are due with their first 'smoochie' soon. I will post pictures of her baby (girl) blanket as soon as she receives it. I may even post a tutorial on how to make these.

Here is a picture of our newest angel.
This is Camden T. born 02 July, 2011

The most important part really isn't the blanket. It's the precious child that came to this amazing couple, and highly anticipating, big brother. Camden entered into a large, wonderful, loud, fun, funny, talented, spiritual, strong family. Oh, how I wish all children born into this world could be this loved, welcomed, and blessed.

~Aunt Sandi









No comments:

Post a Comment