Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Snapware Flip-Top Containers- COOL!

I have to blog about one of my new favorite things. Snapware- Flip-top Conainters, in particular the big 23 cup cereal containers like this:
I got mine at Costco in a 3-pack. I didn't know if I'd use all three but I figured I'd pass them along if I didn't, but I do use them, all the time. Thats what makes this my 'cool thing of the day'. Or one of the happy things that makes life easier, which every Momma is looking for. Remember when I blogged about a gratitude journal? Well, today this would have to be listed as one of mine. :)

I don't think certain people (who shall remain nameless), lol, can open a box of cereal without tearing it up, or ripping it down the side. For SURE they can't open it without ripping the little tab that you have to stick the other side of the box-top in to close the lid. :) So these handy containers make it so there are no worries. When a new box of cereal gets opened I just dump the rest into one of these containers and voile, no problem. Air-tight, dry, and keeps it fresh.

We have problems in Texas with humidity, heat and bugs. So keeping a sugary cereal air-tight gives me peace of mind that I'm not going to attract any unwanted visitors. Ew.

When we have a party or guests for dinner and I pour out a bag of chips, or two, or three into pretty serving bowls now I don't have to worry about re-bagging the left-over chips. The lids on these flip-tops are big enough that I just open the top and dump the left-over chips into the container. Who doesn't like easy clean-up after a party? The flat ones (with no handle endentations) would be great to store cookies.

Also, they are dishwasher safe. Yay! I put the container part in the bottom of my dishwasher, and the top I put on the top rack. I have never had a problem, it has worked out very well. (Just make sure they are completely dry before you use them again)

Now, before you begin to think I am selling these, or have a vested interest, quit it, I don't. I am just sharing something I like. I did try to go on Costco.com to find out how much they are but I couldn't find them. I also went to Samsclub.com but they didn't have them in their online store either. But I did find plenty of them for sale at Amazon.com. I found the 23 cup container for $7.39, and the 15.3 cup container for $9.25 (go figure). You may be able to find them at Walmart or Target, I have never tried there. I know the cost might be a little spendy for a container, but the bagged cereal in the cereal isle is even cheaper than the boxed so in the long run it could pay for itself. :)



Recently we had a Dodge-burger BBQ and we had dinner guests (the Missionaries), and I ran out of containers, boo. So I justified purchasing another 3-pack the next trip I made to Costco. I think the 3-pack was under $20. Don't you think that would be a fun kitchen shower gift? :)

I know a bunch of you have food storage items. If you open a big bag of rice, these work great to keep them air-tight, and dry in your pantry. Or dried milk, pasta, beans, or anything like that. The lid is completely flat so they stack well. They're versitile though so don't forget being able to use them for punch, water, and other drinks.

I hope you'll post a comment and tell me your favorite kitchen gadget or time/money saving tip. Make it a great day!

You know, I love you more than my luggage.

~Aunt Sandi

4 comments:

  1. I almost bought those at costco last time I was there. They're only $1397 or something! I bought a set of snap-top containers and LOVE them! Those are definitely on my 'want list'. As for my favorite kitchen gadeget, that would easily be my Tupperware chopper. How could I have gone so long without using the gift Dolores gave us for our wedding?! It sat in the box for over 2 years until she came to visit & showed me what it could do. I use it for E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G veggies, herbs, nuts, chicken...It makes dinner a breeze!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah- Is it like a jar chopper? Or a mandolin-type chopper? Because anything that makes things a breeze in the kitchen is MY kind of gadget, seriously! :) Thanks for the comment. I love you.

    ~Aunt Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I'll have to check those out next Costco trip! My favorite/most used kitchen gadget would have to be my Cutco knives...I love them so much! It's so frustrating for me to have to cut up food at someone else's house! hehe Knife snob, I know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK Stephanie....now I have to give the Cutco knives a look-see. I too have my favorite knives. Chopping without a good sharp knife is just too much like work! :) LOL

    Love you girls!

    ReplyDelete