Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Mom's Green Jello Salad

2 small pkgs. Lime Jello (or 1 lrg)
3 Cups boiling water
1 (#2) can pineapple
1 Cup sugar
whipping cream
grated cheese

Dissolve Jello and water in 9x13 pan- refridgerate
Boil pineapple and sugar on medium heat for about 10 minutes
Mix with jello and let partially set up in fridge- don't let firm up
Take out- add whipping cream & grated cheese. Mix.
Return to fridge and let set until firm.

Marlene Beaujeu

It's the first week in November and Thanksgiving is almost upon us. We had some really great family traditions when I was growing up, one of which was Mom's green jello salad. I don't remember a Thanksgiving without it. I thought my Mom was an amazing cook and that this was her invention. Not that she ever said it was, but rather, I just thought my Mom was a genius in the kitchen. I was somewhat shocked later in life to hear and even read about Mormon's notoriety over their green jello salad. I have read with some interest the ingredients, and directions for 'other' cooks green jello salad and they do vary. Some cooks add nuts, bananas, even cottage cheese. And, while they sound good, it would not be the same. Mother passed away Sept 23, 2007...I wouldn't change a thing. In fact, the last few years having her green jello salad sitting on my Thanksgiving table has brought me some satisfaction, and a smile when I hear, "Mom, I LOVE your green jello salad." and I say, "It's not mine...it's my Mom's." I love you Mom.

Sandi

No comments:

Post a Comment