Saturday, March 31, 2012

Mini-Quilt Wall Hangings Remember Those?

With so much happening around here there have been few days that I've actually found the time to play, (I mean work) in my sewing room. But I have been plugging away at my Mini-Quilts. They are so fun, do-able, sharable, and I have learned so much in the process that I'm just enjoying being able to play when I can.

I just finished these that I intended on having finished for Christmas. I didn't happen. Oh well, I'm over it. With the illness' I've had for the past couple of months I have had the time to sit and do some hand work. Here are a few:


I need to show the backs too.
They turn out pretty interesting as well.
Next time.

I was glad to get these Christmas mini's bound and finished because it was already too late for a Valentines mini. Although, the ideas are swirling in my brain. I wanted instead to focus on a little something for my BYUI student for Easter. Cassi is so health conscious, and I felt like sending her a bunch of candy and chocolate would be misguided, even rude. So I got busy trying to figure out something that would be fun and remind her of home. She doesn't have a lot of decorations on her walls by her bed so I thought I'd make her a fun Easter Mini. The pattern I had I thought was plain, ugly even. So I when shopping to find some cute fabric that may brighten it up a bit. Thats when I found this sweet material. I knew that it's considered 'cheating' in the quilting world to use a print, but that really is the beautiful thing about quilting, and piecing, is that these creations are your creation, there are no rules, you can make them exactly how you want to. So here is what I sent to our Cassi.

A work in progress. I enjoy working
with these happy bright colors.

I quilted in the 'ditch' and also
 around each little window pane.

I had purchased a couple of skirts, some new shoes (white), little Easter cups, and a darling little wall hanger for the mini's I make her and put those in her 'Care Package'. I wanted to get it out to her as soon as possible so she could have time to enjoy her mini before Easter was over. The day I finished it, I mailed it right away and forgot to get a final picture of it. Ooops. Not to worry, this week I made one for me.

This one is mine. I was able to sit and
hand stitch the binding during General
Conference and finish it. Check out
the little Easter Egg fabric I used for binding.

I love my little mini hanger stand thingie.

Notice the little carrot topper.
Love that! I don't know if you
can see it in the photo but the
bright pink sashing has little
tiny hearts swirling through it. :)

Quilting can be as simple or complex as you want, or have time for. This is one that any beginner could tackle. Trust me, I liked this cute little panel much more than the ugly pattern I would have had to spend twice as much time on. I also add a little sleeve to the back top of the quilt that the hanger slides into for a nice straight distribution of the weight of the quilt. I also add my personal label. It's like a painter signing their work. I label each piece before I dub it 'finished'.

If you have little time, or a lot...try patterns that are simple or complex, leisurely or rushed, I think the point is just to 'do'. Having made five quilts or fifty doesn't make me a quilter, or not. Don't define yourself by others. You may remember many posts ago when I wrote about Linda White (see post from 31 July, 2011) who took over a year making this unfathomable quilt out of teeny tiny hexigons. Thousands of them (hexigons) no bigger than the tip of your finger. It was amazingly beautiful, spectacular even. Is she more of a quilter than I am? Nope. She is just on her own journey. She did what spoke to her heart for over a year with magnificent results. There are definate levels of expertise and quilts I will never tackle in my lifetime. But boy, did Linda White inspire me, yes!

I find quilters to be each others' best champion. It is a sisterhood of knowing, understanding, and appreciation of God given gifts and talents. I make things that brighten and beautify my home and make my husband and children ooh and awww sometimes. Quilters are women and men who love to create, who are big and small, young and old, traditional and very modern in scope. It is enough for me to be in such amazing company and walk on in my way, at my pace, and with my ideas waiting to be created with a bit of fabric, a needle and thread.

I'm ok with that.

Sandi D

No comments:

Post a Comment