Saturday, October 16, 2010

Why Bread and Coulee Water?

Hi Everyone,

I would like to introduce you to a couple of folks.
This is my Grandma Rosina (Nelson) and My Grandpa William John (Bill) Mertz
This picture was taken on their wedding day, the 23rd of March, 1927. They were
married in the Cardston, Alberta, Canada Temple.

As long as I can remember few people could compete with my Grandmother's cooking. When we'd come visit (they lived in Stirling, Alberta, Canada) she would say all she had to feed us was 'bread & coulee water'. Then she'd procede to feed a bunch of us like it was our last meal.

I remember walking in her back door (which she always left unlocked and the porch light on for us) and just the smell made me know we were at Grandma's house. I loved my grandparents, and I loved being at their house. They were hard working farmers and we loved to go there to visit them on that farm. It's to them I pay tribute with the name of my blog.

I hope to add some tried and true family recipes as I go along with my blog. Yes, even some of hers. I have been taught by many fabulous cooks. In 1995 I was asked by my Mom and my aunts if I would compile a family cookbook for the Mertz Reunion....which I did. That was back before there were all these amazing websites, and cool programs for compiling recipes. I was using a friends computer and it was a very long process. But...there were no cookbooks left over after the reunion. All of them were sold. That was a great experience for me. The name of it? You probably guessed, 'Bread and Coulee Water'.

My other Grandma, Maria Beaujeu, was also a terrific cook, as was my own mother...and I feel the need to share some of their dishes as well. Thats one of the ways they loved us, by feeding us well. Look at me....I am SO loved! :) And, I love y'all...so, I worry about some of those family recipes being lost to the younger generations. I'll be posting some recipes soon. So keep watching.

As a side note: My blog is not a cooking blog. It is a 'Sandi' and her family blog. I won't be pigeon holed. This blog will feature stories, genealogy tips, journal tips, encouragement, things I'm grateful for, things that make me mad, political insights, hobbies I have, dealing with special education , books I am reading, spiritual experiences, adoption issues, and yes, recipes, or what-ever else floats my boat. There'll be no disclaimers, what you see is what you get. I hope you mark this sight, visit frequently, and come along for the ride.

~Sandi

1 comment:

  1. YAY Aunt Sandi!! You'll be the BEST blogger!! I'm following you...so I'll keep a look out for everything you post! Love you SO much!

    ReplyDelete