Saturday, September 1, 2012

Sweet Summertime

I think you can tell what kind of sumer it's been by the date on my last post. It has been an eventful, wonderful, busy, caotic summer and I loved it.

While I have been away...the Google rascals have been at work making changes to the blog interfacing. I think they should offer upgrades to those who want it. Just when I feel like I'm getting a good handle on how to do things...it changes. But, that may just be how things work now-a-days, you either learn how to adapt, change, move on, forge ahead, or, you get left behind. I choose to learn. ;)

I don't have time today to tell you everything that has been going on in my life this summer but I do want to share a few highlights beginning with our visit from Taylor F. Our Kristi served in her hometown of Dunn, North Carolina and Kristi & Taylor became wonderful friends. She just graduated from High School in May and asked her parents for a plane ticket to come and see us for a couple of weeks. A graduation gift that was granted.

There were lots of firsts for Taylor while she was on vacation here. There was big city traffic, and freeways that look like a bowl full of spaghetti. There was something fun going on every day but none as fun as when Kristi made plans with Mason to do a dash to Utah to attend Kristi's Mission President's homecoming in Draper Utah. Mason's couldn't leave until Thursday the 5th of July but they had to be back by the morning of Tuesday the 10th because Taylor's flight back to Raleigh left at about 2pm. 3,000 miles...sounds like a crazy, whirlwind, fun, exciting, zip-zip trip to Utah for these three. I was a little sad because they were making plans to stay with my sister, and meet up with Kristi's companions. Cassi and her boyfriend Ryan were coming down from BYUI to have dinner, and go to Temple Square with them too. There was so much fun going to happen and I never have liked to miss out on the fun. But they were driving in Mason's Honda Element and I didn't want to horn-in on their trip. The day before they were scheduled to leave Mason called and invited me to come along. He said, "Ummm, why aren't you coming with us? Your coming!" I love Mason Barlow. "Yay!" I was in a flurry of activity as I packed and prepped to leave. Could these old bones drive 1500 miles one way, straight through? I used to do it when I was younger all the time. But in the last 15 years or so we have stopped to rest along the way. Well...I was about to find out. I think I'd have driven twice that far with those young-uns to see my family, hugs their necks, and kiss their darling faces even for a day.

Taylor F and Kristi (formerly known as Sister Dodge)

Mason and Kristi took Taylor to see the Texas Stadium.
They took a little tour and even saw the inside of the locker rooms.

Playing with Harley the circus dog.

This wasn't a pic that we took...but one that was posted
on FB by some friends. This is a real pic of the Draper Temple.

There were a LOT of forest fires raging through Colorado
and Utah at the time of our trip. Luckily we didn't see any of those.
Just alot of smoke and haze.

Kristi drives and Mason works....Oh oh!

I took this pic from my vantage point in the back seat.
Yup...that's Po-Po.

This is our new friend 'Paul'....Paul the Po Po.

Wendy's with my crew. I LOVE these guys.
Mason, Kristi, and Taylor.
Oh, and my Coach purse Caty.

Cassi came down from BYUI to see Kristi, Mason & Taylor...
SURPRISE! It was a fun yet teary moment. She had
no idea I was coming. I surprised my Sis & nieces too.
We were so glad to see each other we cried. Fun times.

My DARLING niece Brinley doing her nails
with the pretty bright pink polish I brought her.

Visiting Momma's grave with my bestie Shannon.
I'm so thankful for eternal families. I miss you Mom.

My little sister Shannon. Who horses around
at a gravesite? Umm...I guess we do.

My beautiful sister Shannon.

Kristi takes Taylor to Temple Square for her very first time.
Taylor loved it there. It was a perfect day and everything was lovely.

Kristi and Mason at Temple Square in SLC.

Sister- Kristi & Cassi at Temple Square
SLC, Utah. 7th July 2012

They were companions in NC
Emily Thurston & Kristi Dodge
Friends for-ever.

The Temple Square tourists.

Chillin at the house with Sadie (the dog).
Taylor, Mason, Kristi, & my niece McKenzie.

Cooky sisters make life GRAND!

Me with my sweethearts McKenzie, Brinley & Lindsay

Lindsay had just had major surgery on her shoulder.
She was such a good sport. This is her on her bed
in the family room. Best seat in the house!

One cannot go up to 'Y' mountain without stopping
at the BYU Creamery first! It just isn't done.

Taylor loved it at Y Mount. She called her Nana
in NC and said, "I'm on top of the world!"

Love-birds at 'The Specio'. (The special place)
Y Mountain, Provo UT

My girls at our favorite spot. Since fireworks are legal from
the 4th of July thru the 24th (Pioneer Day) we saw many
firework displays happening around the valley. Beautiful.

Kristi sees Pres. & Sis. Cottrell on the way
inside the church. They were so happy to see each other.

Taylor & Kristi introduce Mason to President.

Not too many men Kristi loves more in this world
than these two. Mason, Taylor, Kristi & Pres. Cottrell.

Such a fun day for us all.

Pres. & Sister Cottrell head into the building.

Companions- Sis Gallego, Emily Thurston, & Kristi
They were 'rockin' their skirts!

Companions

Emily Thurston, Chase Butler, Kristi Dodge
Raleigh NC Mission

Visiting after the services.

Kristi and Mason Barlow, Draper Utah
July 8th, 2012

Headed back to Texas. She loves this guy.

Taylor in her 'In-N-Out' burger shirt!
What a trip!

Village Inn Pancake House- somewhere in Colorado.

Taylor getting another good laugh in. ;)

This was taken through a dirty car window
and it's still breathtaking. The sunrise that greeted
us the morning we drove through Oklahoma.

Ahhhhh...Home again, home again, tra-la-la and fidely-dee-dee.

Well...that's our flash trip to Utah and back in a very capsulated nutshell. I hope you've enjoyed the tour as much as we enjoyed taking it. Insert laughter, love, hugs, kisses, and true thankfulness to such a great and loving Heavenly Father. He blessed us so richly with such a beautiful world to enjoy, close and lasting relationships to cultivate and solidify, and experiences that bind us together for-ever. Above all..is love.

Momma D

1 comment:

  1. Holy COW! I had no idea you'd blogged about this! My roommates and I agreed that I looked like a possessed demon sitting on that rock! And I LOVE the one of me laughing at Village Inn! Thanks for posting all of this! Love you!

    ReplyDelete